22 February 2011

Bagels

I love bagels. So someone must make them, somehow.  They don't have to come from Timmy's or the grocery store. I found this easy bread machine recipe, where the machine mixes up the dough, doing most of the work for you.

Put the following ingredients in the bread machine:

1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
3 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast

I substituted honey for the sugar, and because it was my first time making this recipe, I used 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat flour. If it works well, I'll use 100% whole wheat next time.  Run the dough cycle.

When the dough cycle is finished, bring a pot of water to a boil. Use a wide pot, so you can float multiple bagels in it, but the water doesn't have to be too deep. Stir in 3 Tbsp of sugar.  I wasn't sure why I was supposed to do this, so I followed the directions and just used white sugar. I'm sure another type of sugar could be substituted though. Preheat oven to 375F.

Cut the dough into 9 equal pieces, and roll into balls. Stick your finger in the middle and stretch it out a bit to form a bagel shape. Cover the bagels with a clean towel and let them rise for 10 minutes. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal.

Drop bagels into the boiling water. Boil for 1-2 minutes, turning half way through. Drain briefly on a clean towel, then move them to the baking sheet.

Brush the tops with egg then sprinkle on toppings of your choice. I wanted everything bagels, so I dipped them in a dish of the following:

flax seeds
sesame seeds
dehydrated onion
poppy seeds

Bake for 20-25 minutes until browned.


So they worked out. Nice. I'll definitely use 100% whole wheat flour next time. Cut them in half, toast them and eat them like you usually do. But hey, why not try change it up a bit and use hummus or yogurt cheese instead of the regular cream cheese? Bagels, have enough calories as it is, so, by using whole grains and replacing the cream cheese, I'll keep enjoying them.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Amber! They look delicious! I'll definitely try this recipe! I also want to find Montreal bagel recipe. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete