08 February 2011

You Make Your Own Ketchup?

I get all different reactions when people come over for dinner and I bring out the jar of homemade ketchup. Usually, people are amazed that I can do something like that. Well, maybe that's what I want them to think, but they actually just think I'm crazy. That's okay too, I'm alright with that.  So it tastes a little different than the brand you are used to and it's not in a squeeze bottle.  Give it a try. there's no cooking involved, then you can impress people too.

1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp palm sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 Tbsp cider vinegar

In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together. Store in the fridge in a glass jar.

I find it to be a more grown up tasting ketchup with a lot less salt and sugar, and a nice little spice. It took a while to adjust to a different taste, but after getting over that, I really prefer my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment