02 April 2011

Home

I haven't posted for a few weeks, being busy with various things. Spring has arrived, and so I've been getting outside more, cleaning up what the melted snow has revealed and playing with the kids since the yard has dried and is no longer such a bare mud hole (we haven't established a lawn yet after the construction). I've been planning and dreaming of all of the possibilities that this blank slate of a yard will become and keeping busy trying all sorts of new little projects. We have had Dave's parents here for a very nice visit as well. This left me a little sentimental, pondering the value we place on things.

I grew up in only one house, with only one "My Room". I knew everyone in the neighbourhood, at school and where the ants had a home in the cement crack. Most all of my family was no farther than a half hour drive away. We were able to go for visits to see our grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins any time. We'd visit on weekends or weeknights. I'd see my Grandpa every time he had business in town, when he'd stop in to share some licorice. I would explore my grandparents' farmyard. I had my favorite climbing tree next to the one with which grew to envelope a horseshoe. I caught garter snakes, pulled carrots, watched the pigs and rabbits and "wasted the raspberries" on the chickens.

Now, I find myself in a much different place, as I'm raising my children. Being married to military, we are where they put us. The nearest family is seven hours by car. Sure we get to experience living in many different places, travel around the country, have new and different houses, in new and different neighbourhoods. We are surrounded by different local cultures and get to discover new places to explore and shop. When people think it sounds fun, here is what I say. You have family close, your kids get to see their grandparents, your parents can see your kids. If you need support, you always have family that will help. You can see places which have deep memories for you, anytime you want. People know you and stop for a chat when you go downtown. People know your kids and who they are playing with. You have roots and are able to let them grow. You have home, an attachment to the land. Don't undervalue what you have. You are lucky.

I watched the David Suzuki movie a few nights ago. He touched on these things, by saying that he was offended when a realtor asked if he wanted to sell his home. He started listing the things of value in his house, ugly things that had fond memories of loved ones associated with them, things that would be the first to go when it came down to dollar value and staging to sell.

Hopefully I can eventually grow some roots, and get attached to a place. I would love to see a tree grow and mature and have people recognize me and my family around town. I'm determined to. I want my kids to be home. But how do I know when I've found it? I don't know if this is home. I think more family would have to be closer if it were to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment