27 February 2012

I taught myself to crochet.. I think.

I've seen many ideas on the internet involving crocheting plarn (plastic yarn), that I would like to try. Only one problem. I have no idea how to crochet.

 I learned how to knit a few years ago when Dave's mom and aunt taught me. I tried to knit with plarn, but I soon realized why everyone crochets with it. The plastic just doesn't slide on the needles. It could be do-able with enough patience and determination, but not very efficiently.

So I had to learn how to crochet, left handed by the way.

First step: The chain stitch (ch): Slipknot, yarn over, pull through, yarn over, pull through, yarn over etc.

By the way, I know my nails aren't pretty, I'm a nail biter, and learned to accept it. I don't care what you think. :)

slipknot

yarn over

pull the "yarn over" through the loop

repeat

Are you kidding me? This is eeeeasy! This is knitting for dummies. I could teach the kids this. Actually, I'm pretty sure I did this as a kid. Next.

Second step: The single stitch (sc): Insert hook through the loop, yarn over, pull through, repeat.

insert hook through a loop in the chain stitch

yarn over

pull the "yarn over" through the 2 loops

lather, rinse, repeat.

Okay, if I could actually make something by doing this, awesome. I love crochet. Why didn't someone show me this sooner. I guess they probably assumed I already knew how.

Third step: double stitch (dc): Yarn over, insert through loop, yarn over, pull through, yarn over, pull through 2, yarn over, pull through 2 repeat.

Huh? Okay I take that knitting for dummies comment back. Well, here we go.

yarn over, insert through loop

yarn over

pull through loop, yarn over again

pull "yarn over" through 2 loops

yarn over again

pull through 2 loops again, and we're left with one loop.

Yay I made a stitch! Okay, I made another one, and another and another.. I think I've got this.

row of double crochet stitches

Maybe that's enough for now. I'm sure I can make something, knowing this much. I see it quickly gets more complicated from here.

swim bag for Lauren (full of mistakes by the way)

Okay, so I'm now, after 2 days, a crochet monster, and I have vivid nightmarish images of my house becoming doily encrusted.. yikes. However, I think I'm ready to move on to plarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment