06 February 2012

muesli & a rant

Most breakfast cereals are full of all sorts of junk, and it's difficult to choose the best options. There's everything from more sugar than candy, to granola which is fried, and then the preservatives on top of it all. While I was more into couponing, I bought more cereal than I usually did, because of the extras. For example, there was a deal where if you bought a box of $5 cereal, you can get a gas card in the mail worth $5, making the cereal free. In hind sight, that is exactly what it was worth. 

I'm stubbornly trying to make everything I can myself now, mostly because I've lost trust for corporations. Sure there are good companies out there, but I've been fooled by "green-washing" a few too many times. I'll tell you a couple in case they tricked you too.

I've fallen for the "Huggies Natural Care Baby Wipes". Here is the ingredient list: Water, potassium laureth phosphate, glycerin, polysorbate 20, tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM hydantoin, methylparaben, malic acid, aloe barbadensis, tocopheryl acetate, vitamin E in the form of tocopheryl acetate. They contain 3 of David Suzuki's dirty dozen, a formaldehyde releasing preservative, an endocrine disruptor and a carcinogen. Awesome.

The other I've fallen for was Aveeno. Aveeno is a more natural better product, no? It's made by Johnson and Johnson, if you weren't aware of that. You can Google the ingredients yourself if you wish, and compare them against the dirty dozen. I wouldn't use that on myself, let alone a baby.  They're trying to sell a cheap product with pretty marketing. 

So, I've grown a little tired of reading every ingredient list, it's frustrating. It's easier to make it myself.

Back to the cereal:

Muesli - simple, yummy & versatile

My kids eat plain dry rolled oats, and flour. They're weird, I knew they'd like this.

4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup oat bran .. I didn't have any so I added some ground flax seed instead. Like I said, versatile.


1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup walnuts.. wouldn't go over in my house, so they've been replaced by almonds


1 cup raisins.. or any dried fruit really. I used raisins, cranberries, apples and dates. Dates are yummy.
1/4 cup brown sugar.. I used organic palm sugar
Heck, spoil yourself and add some chocolate chips if you want. It still won't compare to how bad the commercial cereals are.


Mix it up and store it in a container. I like this old Tupperware one, because it feels a bit like a cereal box.


Muesli is versatile to eat too. You can cook it like oatmeal or eat it cold with milk or yogurt and fruit instead of granola. I like to add milk, then heat it up in the microwave for a minute. The sugar melts into the milk, it's yummy.  :)

2 comments: